It’s that time of year…time to get your house ready for visitors! Creating inviting guests’ spaces can be a challenge. Making a great guest room is as much about giving your guests a great experience as it is about you enjoying their stay. There is nothing worse than tripping over your guest’s belongings and counting down the days until you have your space back! Here are some must haves that will help make their visit that much more enjoyable.
1. Clear out some drawers for your guests and leave a supply of hangers for them to use in the closet. Giving your guests the ability to unpack will make them feel more relaxed and prevent you from having to deal with unsightly suitcases lingering around.
2. Keep a supply of toiletry essential for your guest to use (toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, shower gels, razors, lotions, towels, bathrobes). Especially with regulations in air travel, your guest may not be able to bring these items with them, so save them the stress of hitting up the nearest CVS after landing!
3. Nowadays the most debilitating thing is to be lacking power. If you can, keep extra phone chargers, usb cables around for your guests’ phones, iPods, and other such devices.
4. Keep books, magazines, and newspapers around for your guest to enjoy during downtime.
5. Stock your fridge and pantry with their favorite foods and snacks. If you know of any specific dietary restrictions they might have, do your shopping accordingly.
The most important thing to remember is to enjoy your time with your friends and family. Don’t think of the responsibilities of hosting as a burden. Instead let it be a time where you can kick back, relax, and have fun with your loved ones! Of course, if the guests you have coming in town aren’t the most pleasant people, ignore everything listed above and have them sleep on a lumpy sofa bed and hope they are uncomfortable enough to want to stay in a hotel the next time!