As we all know, some things are just out of our control. Hurricane Sandy has affected the lives of thousands. Californians are no stranger to natural disasters either. We have been struck with earthquakes, fires, and floods repeatedly. So take some time to make sure you are as prepared as you can be in the event of an emergency. Here is a list of what your kit should be stocked with
1) Water: You want to have about 4 bottles for each family member. Be sure to count your pets if you have any
2) Nonperishable Foods: Choose foods high in protein, calories, and nutrition. Avoid salty foods to prevent thirst. Consider things such as baby formula and pet food if that applies to your family.
3) Flashlight/ Camping lanterns/ Extra Batteries
5) First Aid Kits: These come in all sized and shapes. You can buy one directly through the Red Cross that will provide you with everything you will need.
6) Medication: Keep a list of all prescription medication that you might need and an extra supply of everything you will need.
7) Change of clothes: Obviously you don't need to pack your whole wardrobe, but an extra change of underwear, pants, and shirt will be useful.
8) Blankets: Camping blankets are best, they are thin, light, and most importantly...warm!
9) Cash: You might not be able to use credit cards in the event of power outages
10) Emergency Contact Information Cards: FEMA has created a template that you can download and pass along to your family and friends to fill out! Click on the link below to begin your own.
* To donate to the Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund Go to: